This Week in LWR News:
If you are in the Baltimore area and someone who appreciates contemporary art, make sure to visit the In/ Flux Gallery to see Water Sonettos! The exhibit features artwork focused on water issues and highlights LWR’s friend and esteemed Baltimorean artist Jann Rosen-Queralt. Rosen-Queralt’s work includes a series of sculptures inspired by the Dogon women she met on a trip to Mali in 2011, as well as other fascinating pieces.
Here are this week’s stories, excavated from page 7a:
- Bathing in Milk: Why are these men pouring milk into the streets and bathing in it as a form of protest in Sri Lanka?
- Malaria in DR Congo SLIDESHOW: This slideshow gives perspective to malaria prevention, deaths, and the reality of those most susceptible to malaria.
- Plummeting Rates of Child Mortality Across Africa: Child mortality across the continent is rapidly declining just in the last few years and especially in Kenya.
- Solutions for a Hungry World VIDEO: Click on any of these links to watch a short video and learn more about how hunger affects the world today. Want to actively participate in alleviating hunger? Learn more.
- Chocolate Map INFOGRAPHIC: Take a closer look and learn about the production and sales of chocolate. (And, with Mother’s Day coming up, remember that flowers and chocolates are classics, just make sure that your gift is Fair Trade!)
- Mobile Phones and the Gender Divide: What do mobile phones have to do with gender equality and social and economical opportunities?
What else did you read about in the news this week? Please leave your comments below.